Hammond Park, with 1.4 acres, was a gift to the City of Wausau from Sue Hammond Rea in memory of her father Benjamin Franklin Hammond in 1933 who had been a successful lumberman in the area, as early as 1875. In 1925 Mrs. Rea had purchased the property from a brewery and improved it with tree and shrub plantings, the bandstand, a fountain, and playground equipment, using her own funds.
The Park property has much history attached to it. In 1863 at this site, George Ruder established Columbia Park and the first Columbia Hall where his German band played. In the 1870s Frank Schubert bought the hall and his band played. Under both ownerships, it was a popular place to meet, drink beer and talk politics. In 1890 George Schmidt purchased it and the name changed to Grand Avenue Park. In 1892, the hall burned and it was replaced with a log structure called "The Old Log Cabin". In 1893, Schmidt left, and a brewery was built - the upper floor was a dance hall and beer garden and the lower was the bottling plant. The name changed back to Columbia Hall and many famous acts performed there. The hall burned in 1907 and was replaced with a two story building. That led to Mrs. Rea purchasing the building in 1925.
According to the Historic Landmark Nomination Form, the bandstand and the drinking fountain were designed by Charles H. Ramsdell, landscape architect from Minneapolis. It has a base of local field stone with a pagoda style roof.
Only occasionally are concerts held.