Pfiffner Pioneer Park Bandshell
The Wisconsin River forms a border along the west side of Pfiffner Pioneer Park, where the bandshell is located. It was designed by an intern working for the city parks department and built in the late 1970s.
Other features of the park include a riverfront walk that leads past the Riverfront Arts Center, Founder's Point, the Schumann Heink Memorial, a plaque with information on how ice blocks were harvested from the river in the winter, and the future site of the Cultural Commons (an interactive garden and education space).
During the summer, a variety of events are held at the park including many musical concerts at the bandshell. The concerts are partially sponsored by the Mortimer and Mimi Levitt Foundation.
The city's Convention and Visitors website offers more information of other city events.
The park was named after Mary Mollie Meehan and E. J. Pfiffner. E. J. came to Stevens Point in 1875 and worked for James Meehan, owner of a sawmill and father of Mary Mollie. Over the years, he built a successful lumber business, served on the City Council and school board, and was president of the Citizens National Bank.
A plaque along the riverfront walk was placed in 1924 to honor George A. Stevens, after whom the city was named. The WI Historical Society tells of how Stevens passed through the area in 1836, and while he never lived there, the city established there was named after him.
Today, murals have been painted on the exterior of many buildings in the downtown area. They reflect 150 years of the history of the City.