Grand Army Home Centennial Memorial Bandstand
The Grand Army Home bandstand is located at the west end of Quadrangle Park, which is on the 42 acre grounds of the WI Veterans Home. It was built in 1987 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the King WI Veterans Home. It replaced a bandstand built in 1954 which had been funded with a donation by the Martha M. Orth Chapter of Service Star Legion, Milwaukee.
The bandstand features many concerts during the summer months. Bands vary from high school, to country, bluegrass, and rock bands. Dates and times vary from month to month with sometimes as many as ten, and other times only a few times. It is also used for special presentation and is center stage for park events.
The Village of King, WI, was named after Brigadier General Charles King, a famed soldier and author in 1941. He was born in Albany, NY, in 1844. His father, Rufus King, moved to Milwaukee and established the Milwaukee Sentinel. President Lincoln appointed Charles to West Point. He fought in the Civil War and the Indian War where he was wounded. Because of that, he was discharged from the Army in 1879. In 1880 he helped form the WI National Guard and was a drill instructor at the University of WI. He was called back to the Army. He served in the military for over 70 years, including the Spanish American War, the Philippine Insurrection, and WWI.